…well actually, it’s really more about me understanding you!
I can tell you, it was a bit of a shock in 2007 when the Instructor on my Personal Trainer certification told me that I would have failed in 3 out of 5 risk assessments for potential clients.
1. I was over 40.
2. I had high blood pressure.
3. I drank more than the recommended alcohol.
How many people, over 50 as I was, would fail that kind of risk assessment? Surely, I thought, these are the very people we should be helping.
It makes you wonder doesn’t it?
I’m Peter Moorhead and Celebrate Personal Training is my company. I have worked with hundreds of clients, mostly in their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s, training with them at home. It gives me real satisfaction to see just what these men and women achieve with good coaching and accountability.
You see, when we are older our bodies don’t respond to exercise, or what we eat, in the same way as when we were in our prime. For us, it takes small step changes to achieve great results rather than a “no pain, no gain” quick fix.
Some of my clients want to lose weight, some just want to get fit and some want both of those things, but they all have some things in common and I know that the people I work best with:
- Don’t really care if they can do a 3 minute plank or 50 press-ups in a minute. What they really want, is to continue doing the things they enjoy the best. Like playing with the grandkids, breezing through the housework and gardening, going on their travels for holidays etc.
- They appreciate the need to invest in their own future rather than abdicating responsibility to an already overloaded health system, so as to retain their dignity and independence as they get older.
- They recognise that they need some coaching and accountability to achieve their goals through simple stages, one step at a time.
My clients choose me because I understand them, I’ve been there. They see a regular person who is “good for his age” and if I can do it, so can they.